We are almost done with yet another year…another year of trials, blessings, heartache and joy. Another year of navigating through the waters and storms of this thing we call life. Ever-changing, ever-unknown, ever-tumultuous. One thing that is not any of these things, is God. He is NEVER-changing, NEVER-unknown and NEVER-tumultuous. God calms the waves and enables Jesus to part the seas. He brings beauty from ashes and colors the sky in majestic venues. He is by our side and in our hearts every single step of this life. Are your eyes open to see Him? Are your ears open to hear Him? Is your heart open to receive Him? What can we do better this coming year to draw nearer to the great “I AM” and the keeper of your heart?
One thing I have been preparing for and have heard God’s guidance on is choosing my word and verse for 2019. This is something I have been doing for a few years now, and I find each word is lived out and acknowledged in ways I would have never noticed or understood, had I not chosen to make it a priority to seek it, learn it, memorize it and watch for it—all throughout the year. By choosing one word and verse to memorize and apply in our daily life, we can draw closer to God on a personal level as we ask the Lord to show this word and act of Scripture manifested in our lives.
Here are some ways you can keep your word and verse close to your heart all through 2019:
- Write it on an index card and place one on your bathroom mirror, in the visor of your car, on a wall at your work, and as a bookmark in your Bible or Bible study
- Pray on it…daily. Ask God to show these moments and promises to you boldly
- Keep a journal and log every day of the ways you have seen your word or verse lived out, or note ways you notice yourself changing and growing through focusing on your word
- Share your word and verse, get accountability from others to gain encouragement and motivation so you will not get discouraged or drop off after the first month or so
- Calendar time with God. Make it an appointment that is non-negotiable (much like a doctor’s appointment or a work day would be). If you show up for Jesus, he will show up for you in the most beautiful and miraculous ways and places and help you live out your word and verse!
My word and verse are in the image at the top of this article, but I will add it here for you as well:
DEBBIE’S 2019 WORD: FULFILLED
DEBBIE’S 2019 VERSE: MAY HE GRANT YOU YOUR HEART’S DESIRE AND FULFILL ALL YOUR PLANS (PSALM 20:4 ESV)
The Lord brought this word to me strongly (I, in my typical Debbie nature, had my heart set on a few other words I quite enjoyed. God said, “NO.” And I said, “Okay.”…I may, or may not, have pouted a little during this encounter with Him)! In the end, I see why God is choosing this word for me and I cannot wait to see what it brings tor my life in 2019 and in what ways my path will culminate this precious word and verse. This last year was one of my hardest ever—full of continuous trials, struggles and heartache. Towards the end of it, God brought me all of the things I have prayed for, hoped for and dreamed of for several decades now. Sometimes when you stop searching, when you just sit back and throw your hands up in the air, when you finally surrender—that is when God loves to show Himself and just what He can do in you and through you! God has turned my entire world around and I am happier than I have ever been in my entire life. Are my situation or circumstances perfect? Far from it. But are they immensely blessed and on the road to a blindingly bright and extraordinary future? Absolutely!
Trust Him, no matter what you have been through, are going through, or will go through. God has your rainbow waiting on the other side of this season and He is overjoyed to hold your hand through the storm and watch your face shine like a diamond as you reach that eternal treasure…the greatest treasure ever, Jesus.
IF YOU HAVE CHOSEN YOUR WORD, VERSE, OR BOTH OF THEM, PLEASE LEAVE IT IN A COMMENT BELOW SO I CAN PRAY OVER THEM FOR YOU DURING THIS COMING YEAR. I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE HOW GOD AMAZES YOU WITH HIS LOVE, GRACE, MERCY AND GOODNESS IN 2019!